Tuesday, January 28, 2014

what we're eating on a icy winter evening...

When I was leaving work, I strolled myself over to the meat counter, and got several pkg. of ground beef. Thinking to go home and make a nice warm friendly pot of chili for supper. That I would put it in the crock pot when I got home, let it simmer for several hours, and we would have a bowl of chili and warm, toasty muffings.

That never happened. I got home, and sat down. Read several days accumulation of newspapers. Did a bit of blogging, and pretty soon it was almost 6 o'clock. Nobody had given eating a thought... so the crock pot was not an option. Here is the part that starts to sound like 'True Confessions'.

Having long been accused of a person who would go to great lengths to sneak in a bit of good nutrition, I am up to my usual underhanded ways. In an effort to live up to my reputation: naturally, the chili has a carrot in it. Hardly noticeable to the average consumer, since it was shredded and cooked before being inserted in the bubbling pot.  Then, for the chili to have the consistency of something that had been 'asimmering for hours, I put in some V-8 juice (you know - 'drink your vegetables'), which made it too soupy. As I expected, because I planned to add potato flakes to make it magically thicken up, without all the hours and hours of cooking.

Whip up a box of jiffy corn muffing mix, add a few diced cooked onions and a little whole kernel corn, put in toaster oven for fifteen minutes. And voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment