Saturday, January 18, 2014

spring produces eternal hope...

I have been out digging today - if that is a 'sure sign' of spring, I'm a couple of weeks ahead of the ground hog! Do I get a prize? Like the 'early bird getting the worm'? I'll have to pass on the worm, thank-you-very-much. It turned into such a pretty day, I couldn't help myself.  I get kind of 'itchy' on the warm days, when the sun is so bright, cheery, warm it causes me to want to get out the shovel and dig, whether I have anything to plant or not.

When I was running a couple of errands this morning, listening to amusing programs on public radio. At some point, between the usual hilarity of Saturday mornings programming, the weather man predicted possible overnight snow flurries for north GA. I had to wonder where that idea came from, as it was a cloudless, bright clear sunny day. But also know if they are having miserable weather in TX, we should expect them to be exporting it our way in a couple of days.

I had a mum plant I wanted to get put in the ground, and found some iris that had been begging to be planted for weeks, since someone gave them to me back in the fall. So I got my shovel out and dug several holes to get things planted, in that area full of bulbs and perennials in front of the house.

And there are all these little aggravating wild onion plants that come up in the spring - I am continually trying to eliminate. I go out with my shovel and dig under, to loosen the dirt, and pull up the bulb/roots instead of just having the top pull away, and the plant growing back. It is an endless task, so I wonder if somehow those tiny little onion plants are related to kudzu, or the English ivy I have been trying to kill for years. For today, I know I am on the winning team with the onion elimination competition, but they are so annoying, the balance could change at any time. Weed killer does not work, so it's an on-going process, as there are always a couple of little bulbs that I don't get dug up - and I think they are secretly chortling over my lack of success, while planning to mount a counter-insurrection campaign overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment