Monday, January 6, 2014

feline whooops...

We (meaning me) left a cat in the house overnight. I am sure she did not want to go out, and would have never volunteered  to spend the night out there on the shelf in that cold carport. Even though they do have nice warm fur coats, and boxes with cushy little pillows in them, just the right size-shape for cat-napping. Up on a high safe shelf in the carport, with a ladder to climb for access to their sleeping quarters. Lucy is elderly, pretty thin, meaning little body fat, and obviously likes to take a nap on any nice cozy, padded, soft, warm surface: couch, bed, futon, chair, folded blanket.

I don't want pets. Dogs or cats. Things that need care and maintenance. Feeding and cleaning-up after. Especially don't want four footed things that live in the house, as you never know what happens when you are not at home and they are left without 'adult supervision'. 

But we (meaning me, of course) went to bed and left Lucy snoozing on the futon, which is dark brown, in a dark room, making her practically invisible. I guess she did the thing all of us do - knew it was time for a bathroom break. She woke up about 5:15, came out into the hallway, right in front of the other two bedroom doors, and started a conversation. So I jumped out of bed, to pick her up, and stop her from talking. But P. had already opened the door, turned the light on, and alarm system off.  So, even though I knew she did not want to go out there in the freezing weather, I opened up the door to the carport and out she went.

Pretty unusual, as she does not often go outside of her own volition. She will never know how thankful I am that she did  not choose to do her business in the bedroom, on the carpet. I've thought recently about how much I will need everyone to remind me that I do not want another cat in my life, when the two that are here decease. I'm not certain how well they are 'trained', whether it is mine or the bully ones that come around for the' buffet' at feeding time, that are doing all their business in the carport. But if you know how pungent, offensive the aroma of cat by-products are, you will agree that having  a space - be it carport, laundry room - any area where they have been box trained - where cats - singular or multiple - habituate - can be overwhelming. Some use the box, some don't, so it is always smelling of cat business.

So, please, when you read obituaries here for Lucy and October, take the time to remind me that I Really don't want another cat in my life. I know how amusing, entertaining kittens can be - but in the same way that the hilarious antics of puppies will eventually end when they become full grown dogs - I know kittens turn into cats. And though the ones here are 'outdoor', they can live to be ancient. I think we got these  in 1999 - who'd have ever thought cats exposed to all the risks and predators of outdoor life would have lived such long enduring lives? Certainly not me!

No comments:

Post a Comment