Monday, January 6, 2014

bulletin board queen is back in business...

A friend from church roped me into doing a project for her. Something she has been doing for several months, and suggested more than once that I might want to help with. I have to admit that I was not really interested, and likely just forgot to show up to help her when it would come time, once a month, to do the work. She's been putting up something similar to a bulletin board, decorating a wall in one of the classrooms in the education wing .Other than the possibility that the friend, S., has been volunteering to help in the SS class occasionally, I don't know how she got herself involved.

As for me, I think I just backed into it. S. gave my contact info. to the teacher, who emailed with her topic, and a suggested theme for the decorating . I went this afternoon to see what I could find in the way of materials to put something together .Took along my tape and glue, found some scissors and actually got it finished.  I'd hoped to get done, as today is the Only day this week I would have the time to devote to snipping and gluing.

The teacher is using a verse about respect, and wanted a scene with a big sun as the focus. So I found some blue and green paper and made a sort of simplified landscape, and a big yellow sun, with orange rays, printed 'radiating respect' in the yellow circle. Added some little trees in the foreground, and hope they will figure it out? ,

When I started substitute teaching, it was at least twenty years ago , back when it was fun, instead misery-inducing. One of the jobs I would get called for on a regular basis was to replace the librarian at the elementary school down at the end of the street. She would call when she knew she would be out for a day of training. And give me a theme for a bulletin board, turn me loose with colored paper, scissors and glue. I had great fun: making something out of nothing. One of the most amusing ones I recall is a winter scene, with lots of penguins, all reading books, toddling across the wall of the library. There were lots of covers from books she would order for the students, that I could use to make it look like the various animals I'd assemble look like they were actually holding books with their paws, wings, flippers or tails, and immersed in learning about a wide variety of topics.

Something I have not done, or even thought about in years - but both entertaining and beneficial. I hope that SS teacher will approve, it will be something she can use as a teaching tool to assist with her lessons. I already have a plan for next month, now that I know she will be focusing on John 3:16.

No comments:

Post a Comment