Friday, January 24, 2014

mystery solved...

When I was rooting through the mess that the burgling crew left behind, cleaning off the top of the dresser I also got into a jewelry box they had stirred up, looking for valuables. I hope they are not reading my blog, .because I found something they missed. I guess this little item has been in there for a while, and would have been easily overlooked.

It is a very small gold wedding band. Tucked into a little white leatherette folding case, about an inch square.  Secured inside, on a tiny white satin cushion with a little white satin ribbon. Barely big enough to slide down on my pinkie finger. It's really neat looking, with a kind of beaded edging. And the interesting part is there is something etched inside the band. I tried to figure out what the etching was, looking like it was letters and numbers - that I thought would give me a hint of where it came from. But the band is so tiny, the engraving is minute, and my eyes just would not decipher. I thought there is a magnifying glass in this house someplace. Progress on the cleaning project came to a screeching halt while I got distracted with searching for a magnifier. No luck. No amount of squinting or adjusting the light helped with trying to figure out what had been engraved inside that tiny little ring.

So I called my friend, PC, who can fix Anything. And asked her to bring her magnifying glass (certainly a person who is as multi-talented and handy as PC would have one of those in her tool kit!) to help with the mystery. She took one look, adjusted her glasses, and said: RF to RS 6-12-12 to 6-12-52.

That's my granddaddy, Randall Fluker and grandmother Rosa Simmons Fluker. The dates are, I assume, the day they got married, and a fortieth anniversary. What a sweet, thoughtful guy. That plainly explains how my dad, Thomas Randall Fluker, Jr. turned out to be such a sweet, thoughtful guy.

How I got the ring? I don't know. But I am delighted to have it, and have the mystery solved. Thanks, PC!

No comments:

Post a Comment