Thursday, January 30, 2014

what about the little birdies?

Looking out the windows often, where there was ice and snow all day on Wednesday, I was observing what was happening, or more accurately: not happening. We do not live in a warm house. Though the windows are double paned, and there is insulation in the attic, it's generally chilly. With a man who is always cold, due to medications, the thermostat is set at 71 for daytime, though most days there is no one here. (Burgling thieves: please disregard!)

Being housebound all day, there was lots of opportunity to glance out at the world from the relative comfort of seventy'ish degrees. And I noticed lots of little puffy, fluffed up birds hopping around on the driveway, obviously cold, and apparently hungry. My parents were conscientious feeders of birds, enjoying the flapping and pecking activity as the feathered ones would visit several seed stations around their house. I have not been so kind - but have been thoughtful: thinking that inviting feathered friends to come for breakfast would actually mean providing fresh lunch for the cats.

But as I watched an assortment of small birds flitting around, pecking at minuscule bits on the concrete, I thought: you need to put something out for them to eat. Late yesterday afternoon, I was plundering around in the pantry, deciding what might be suitable for bird food. Found a number of things I will put out and hope they will return to enjoy tasty morsels. Things like stove-top stuffing (two boxes), corn tortilla/taco shells (two boxes), popcorn I left in the micro. too long (one bag).

When I got up to check on the cats, I opened the carport door and see that all the snow on the concrete apron has melted, and toss out the bag of popcorn.  I saw cardinals, what I think was a Baltimore oriole, lots of house wrens/sparrows yesterday: all fluffed up like balls of fuzzy yarn. When the word gets out, I hope they will come back to find the buffet open.

Both cats are in the house, being lazy, but the neighbors' cats may come by, looking for someone to bully here. The big chunky striped one from next door thinks we are always good for a free meal, with smaller, mild mannered felines to intimidate. I'd like to think the neighbor will be keeping her aggressive pet indoors, so I will not look out the front window to see a mass of feathers floating around as a predator has been plowing through the hungry birds.

I often think that I would like to put out bird feeders to attract colorful feathered friends, but as long as there are cats around, I know it would be a mistake - an invitation to the felines to enjoy a fresh kill. Years ago, when our cats were more active and energetic, I would often step out the door,, to find 'parts' or whole smaller animals lying on the carport floor: chipmunks, birds (or just a pile of feathers), lizards, skinks, an occasional squirrel .Thoughtful little gifts. All caught by industrious cats, who had plenty to eat in the bowl: just doing what cats were designed to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment