Wednesday, January 29, 2014

truly winter here...

I guess I went to bed too early last night, as I have been awake for-ever, and it's just now 6:00 a.m. I have not looked out to see the world, but it was covered with a couple of inches of snow when I gave up on the day around 8:30 p.m. I thought I could go to the warmest place in the house and read awhile, but soon found myself dropping the magazine as my eye lids got heavy. The posted weather info. indicates 22 degrees and sleet - which tells me I'm not going anywhere today. Especially on that trip I had planned for the middle of the week, involving Decatur and SC.

When I decided to back off on traveling north, I thought of calling the auntie. To suggest we could make that last run to the coast she needs to take before selling her place in the Golden Isles. Feeling like the weather and driving conditions to the south would not be as limiting/risky as weather problems farther north. But now that I'm seeing what  is going on out there, 'home' gets more appealing all the time.  The best choice seems to be to stay put. Pretty difficult for someone who keeps a toothbrush at the ready (actually - in my car, as you never know when you might have dirty teeth!), and a bag always semi-packed, ready at a moments' notice.

It looked to me like, when I was up in the wee hours, and peering out the window - some of the snowfall had melted. Things were not completely covered in fluff as they had been when it was falling, before it got completely dark. Meaning more water that has solidified on the roadway and much more slickness, people driving sideways ,into medians, rights-of-way and other vehicles as well as trees, sign posts and various stationary objects.  This is probably a good day to have zero travel plans.

A slight correction on the temp. I thought it was 22, but now it's 16 degrees outside. I guess the cats will be wanting to come inside to spend their day napping on the furniture instead of the cold concrete floor of the carport! One or both have been inside  most nights for the past week or so - due to weather.  Apparently one never got instructed on the purpose of the litter box, as I have to clean up puddles on the floor if she's been in overnight. Arggghhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment