Saturday, January 11, 2014

about the most recent 'stay and see Georgia' excursion...

My auntie, who lives in Valdosta, has been asking me for months to go with her to the coast. When I went down for a visit shortly before Christmas, I told her I would bring my new calendar along, and we could decide on a couple of days when I could get in the road with her to travel.  We decided, and we have traveled.

I drove to Valdosta on Tuesday afternoon, following work, arriving after dark. Spent the night in at her house, and got up Wed. to drive to St. Simons' Island, east of Brunswick. She has a small condo. that she has owned for a number of years, and has decided to sell. Her original 'plan' for putting it on the market was to offer it 'as is', fully furnished. Not really realizing how much personal stuff she would have to sort through, move/trash/relocate before it would be marketable. I know she has made a number of trips to-and-fro from her home in Valdosta, getting things out of the condo, even though she does not really have anyplace to put more furniture, dishes, knick-knacks. (She called me on  Friday, and admitted that the boxes she had so carefully wrapped and packed to bring back were all in the back of her car, going to Goodwill, as she has no space to put in her house.)

She did some sorting, packing, cupboard cleaning on Wed. afternoon, and a bit more on Thursday, cleaning out the fridge (amazing what can accumulate! through neglect, unwillingness to toss), and we loaded up to return to Valdosta on Thursday afternoon. I was not overly helpful: but did do some cleaning, and picked up heavy stuff, sewing machine, boxes to put in the car for return to Valdosta.
Got it all unloaded, and started back north, to get to Columbus shortly after dark.... which pretty much consumes the 543 miles.

We had numerous conversations while traveling about all the interesting things that appear on the dash of my little Toyo. Discussing mileage, fuel efficiency, what all those different measurements mean. I confessed that though I have been driving it since late summer of 2009, I have yet to set the 'buttons' on the radio for preferred listening. I just mostly stay on the left end of the 'dial', running through the public radio stations as I run around the state, dropping and picking them up as travel.

My spouse has mentioned several times that I should be considering trading. My standard response is that I don't make enough money to afford a car payment:  I can't even support all the groceries I buy from week to week when I am leaving work at the grocery store)  But if he wants to buy me one, I would happily get accustomed to all the bells and whistles in a newer Prius.

No comments:

Post a Comment