Monday, January 27, 2014

8588 is history...

Moved from Valdosta to Columbus in 1981, into an apartment complex. With the intention of looking for a house, that would be more permanent, looked settled and established. I generally have the feeling that apartment dwellers might not be 'permanent' residents, people who are putting down roots in a community, though I know there are numerous reasons people do not invest or live in free-standing houses. Expecting to be in one place for a long time is a good reason to buy a house and begin the process of building up equity, as opposed to rent payments, which seem to be closer to pouring your cash down a rat-hole.

When the apartment was rented,, there were the requisite deposits to various utilities for necessary services to be available: water, electricity, telephones. The phone number that was assigned was 8588.  Found a house in the fall, and moved in over Thanksgiving weekend. I've lived here, in this town, and in this house longer than any place in my life. Pretty unusual, I think. I told daughters, along about the time they left the nest that they were probably they only people they knew who had lived in the same house their entire lives... most others relocating for one reason or another, like financial problems, family dissolution, employment relocation..

Here we sit, though I have lobbied on and off for several years to downsize.  When we had work done to the interior about four years ago, it was my intention to relocate. Hoping to move closer into town, with easier access to services, plus less house and yard to maintain. That did not go at all as I had planned. So it looks like we are pretty much here for the long term.

 I've been suggesting for months (years actually!) that we should discontinue the land line telephone. The telemarketers and political candidates are the only ones who use it. I don't like the idea of having them in the house when no on else is here to supervise their behavior. (See previous blog back in early November related to being burgled!) After years of conversation, on-going discussion and periodic bouts of complete exasperation, he finally contacted the cable provider and had the phone service discontinued.

Just letting you know that the telephone number you have in your address book/brain, stored on your phone is not in service. I've been giving out a cell number for years as the primary contact number, and try to always have it on my person. If you want to talk to me, that is the only way now. Unless you are running for office, or recruiting donors to support your exceptionally worthy cause: go ahead and call the number listed in the book, and leave a message on the home phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment