Saturday, January 18, 2014

hope springs eternal...

When I was out late yesterday afternoon, headed down the street, getting my daily walking done, I meandered through the yard. And delighted to see some barely discernable signs of spring, after some seriously cold weather that brought everything I've planted to it's knees in recent weeks. Some bulb-type plants that have been in the ground for several years, and previously survived cold wind with no noticeable effects now lie limp by my front door. Nothing with any color at all out there: I learned many years ago that it was a waste of time and funds to plant pansies. With a hungry deer population roaming freely, thinking: 'oh, look! salad bar!'

But I noticed the first little little points of peeking-out leaves of hyacinth bulbs beginning to show a bit of green. So hope those colorful, fragrant blooms are not far behind. And the buds on the huge, rambling, floppy forsythia bush trying to grow, possibly getting a miniscule bit bigger with each sunny day, wanting to burst into bright yellow blooms. We've been getting in lots of bulb plants at work: tulips, daffodils, hyacinths - that, suprisingly- are often shipped from Canada!??! I can't imagine what it must take to keep greenhouses warm and bright enough to force bulb plants to want to bloom up in the ice and snow...

Most of the walking since the first of the year has either been in the mall, or me dressed in enough layers to look like the Michelin tire man. I am so ready for warmer weather.

PS: typed on the old computer, as I don't know how to highlight to italicize on the new one! But it has been very educational trying to figure things out the new, portable one!

No comments:

Post a Comment