Wednesday, January 29, 2014

truly... part 2

I would like to withdraw the title of a recent blog, the one that started with 'dang it's cold', as I apparently had no real idea of what cooolllldddd is really like when I wrote a week ago! Because dang, it really is!  When I got up this morning, the temp. on the computer screen, at around 6 a.m. said it was 22 degrees, but that was probably what it was thinking when I put it to bed last night. Because it soon indicated numbers in the teens.

Traffic out on the street, across the vast frozen wasteland of our front yard has been moving at a remarkably slow pace. Most people on this long straight mile-and-a-half road zip along at fifty or sixty miles an hour, though the posted signs have about half of that. It appears the few vehicles I have seen creeping along out there are actually, unusually going at the proper speed for a street with a school zone a half mile away (though schools are closed today). When P. observed an SUV inching along, he commented that the traffic seems to be moving slowly. I said, "Get out your phone and look at the temp."  He said: 27. I said, "Does that explain it?"

When at work yesterday, a customer inquired:  would the store be closed due to bad weather? I said that I did not think cold weather would be legitimate enough for not opening. And if it gets so bad the power is out, the company has a number of big generators permanently mounted, stored on flat bed trailers, to deploy as needed. After severe weather experience in FL and along the Gulf coast, they apparently decided to be better prepared for electrical outages. So when the predictors indicate a problem anywhere in the southeastern states where we have stores, the portable generators can be hooked up to trucks that are normally delivering freight/products to stores, and deliver the energy to keep the frozen goods frozen, lights lit, ovensbaking, and cash registers cheerfully chiming away.

No comments:

Post a Comment