Wednesday, January 22, 2014

traveling - an unusually short road trip...

I have plans to go to Americus today. Yes, I know - why would I only drive for an hour when I could go clear across the state or freezing Florida on the coldest day of the year? The answer is that the man I want to visit is living in Americus. He is one of four veterans I accompanied several years ago when the Honor Flights were taking WWII vets from Columbus to DC for a day trip to see the WWII Memorial and tour several other notable sites in Washington.

 Ed. is from Albany, and recently relocated, with his wife to the Methodist retirement center in Americus. I'm not sure when I last saw him, but know it has been over a year. We sort of reconnected when I sent a donation last fall to the local veterans group to purchase flags for flying on Victory Drive over memorial/holiday weekends. In the envelope with my check to pay for flags, I requested the donations be designated for specific individuals, and that the flags that would be purchased would actually have the names of the veterans written on them. I don't know if that particular request was honored, but the note of response indicated the flags would be bought for four people who served in WWII as indicated.

I copied the response I received from the Chattahoochee Valley Veterans Association, and sent to the three vets whose names I had listed. (The fourth one being my dad, who would be delighted to think that a flag would merrily flap along Victory Drive with his name on it!) And mailed the notes to the three. Ed. wrote me a note of thanks, and reported they had relocated from Albany to Americus. So I am going to have lunch with them today.

When we talked last night, he said his friend, Lee, the other vet. who was on that flight to DC with us, might be there as well. I know from notes received from Lee's wife, that he is struggling with memory problems, a sad diagnosis that is becoming more common as we live longer. He is apparently in good physical health, so Ed. has contacted them to see if they might come and have lunch with us. So, hopefully we will have a happy little reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment