Wednesday, January 1, 2014

happy new year's day...

Black eyed peas, rice, stewed tomatoes with fresh green onions, cornbread.

I've been puttering around all  morning, and thus far have only thought about what to eat, rather than actually doing any preparation. Someone at work asked what I was planning, and I admitted to having recently noticed a bag of frozen peas when I was rooting around in the freezer: meaning that package has been in there since December of 2012, waiting for me to cook. I'm going to give it a shot. I  am the person who claims to be able to eat things out of the fridge that would put other people in a) the bathroom, or b)the bed, or even c) the hospital. So I have no reason to think that peas so well preserved to be possibly mummified would be harmful - more likely they will taste like the freezer - completely dehydrated and flavorless. I expect a half pound of diced bacon would cure that!

A wonderful homemade recipe for homemade cornbread muffins I will make, and some super healthy brown rice I will cook in chicken stock. The cornbread is the one that was the second place winner in the cookoff years ago - I'm pretty sure I have already shared that invented recipe. But if you want it - just let me know. It has whole kernel corn, green onions and diced pimento - all of which, when combined are the colorful part of 'Confetti Cornbread'.

You may have noticed there is no meat anywhere in the first line describing the menu. You are right.

No comments:

Post a Comment