Thursday, January 23, 2014

a stop by the post office...

Since postage is going up for first class letters on the 26, you will not be surprised to find that there is some 'stamp stockpiling' going on here. The last time the USPS did this, there was  some offhand conversation about making the investment to buy up a load of stamps and save some cash. But I said: "its' only a penny" so that conversation came to a screeching halt'.

Now that first class is increasing a whopping two cents, I decided it would be a good idea to try to buy some since the price to get mail delivered will go from 47 cents to 49. You have to wonder why they didn't just go ahead and say: "This is a hold-up... hand over the fifty cents", as they pulled their bandannas up over their faces. Which is what would have happened if anyone had asked my opinion, as I am going to write the letters/cards and be willing to pay someone else to get the correspondence delivered no matter how much it costs to stick a stamp on it.

I had some things to mail when I left to drive to Americus yesterday, thinking I would stop in some wee little burg like Buena Vista.  Or some other rural town, where you just make a loop around the courthouse square and immediately identify the USPS building by the flag briskly flapping in the breeze.  A couple of envelopes that I thought might need an extra stamp for the second ounce, or it would just come back to me to start over.

I was running late, as usual, and did not have time to stop driving south. But when I left Americus to head back toward home, I did get to the post office in Buena Vista about four minutes till five. Barely squeaking in prior to closing time.  I got all my stuff mailed, (including a small, unusual package: heads up, P.I.). And tried to throw myself on the mercy of the clerk. I was hoping for some sympathy, but, though she was very pleasant, ie: excellent customer service training, she was not willing to 'bargain'.

Telling this pitiful tale about wanting to buy up 'forever' stamps before the price increase. And thinking the postcard stamps I bought recently would be 'forever', though I failed to ascertain that fact and the clerk I purchased the 33 cent stamps from failed to ask. I just assumed that a week before the increase that the roll of 100 I was buying would naturally be 'forever'. Which was not the case.

So I had to buy an additional one cent stamp to go along with the roll of one hundred 33 cent stamps I'd bought: meaning I now have five pages of one cent stamps to add to the 33's to mail the postcards.  I'm so swamped with more stamps that most folk could ever get used up, I feel like I could open a postal sub-station out on the street. So, as soon as it warms up about fifty degrees, I plan go out and stand by my mailbox (painted like that same American flag that flaps above post offices nation wide) and put my little green visor on: Open for business.

No comments:

Post a Comment