Monday, December 2, 2013

449...

Is close to what my mileage was when I got back to Columbus from a flying-low trip to Chattanooga. Drove up on Friday afternoon, after being at work most of the day. Then when I walked out of the store, and saw a beautiful, bright, cloudless sky, I decided I would rather get in the road and go up in the afternoon, to enjoy that crystal clear blue and bright sunshine - as opposed to getting up around 4 a.m. on Saturday to make the drive.

I went to spend the day just hanging out, running around in the city (where everything you want/need is on the opposite side of town from where-ever you are at any given time). AND: to go to the Vince Gill benefit concert on Saturday night. He donates his time to anually for a fundraiser for the Children's Advocacy Center. A support program that serves youth that have been abused/neglected. I've wondered if the sponsors listed in the program provide the rental costs for the venue, or funds to pay the other musicians and stage hands. It's hard to believe that the musicians all donate their time and talents - though I am sure the star attraction has the resources to pay all the expenses involved, including a tour bus to bring in his crew from Nashville.

I commented as we were leaving that it understandably takes many years of being in the music business to be able to stand on the stage for ninety minutes and play the 'best of', and still not have time for all the tunes we'd like to hear. Plus he shared some tales about his life, travels, backstories about inspiration of some of the songs they performed. The venue was not a huge building with poor acoustics, but designed as a concert hal., Not a facility that required pounding volume blasted through monstrous speakers - something that makes me decide I'd rather miss the music I like, rather than endure the blasting sound. Excellent acoustics, and great music that added up to a really enjoyable evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment