Saturday, December 21, 2013

driving around in the semi-dark...

...on the southeast side of metro Atlanta. It never really gets completely dark in that area, due to all the lights around the airport, so much lighting that stays on, creating a glow on the horizon. But while I was wandering, was remarkably unconcerned about having taken a 'turn for the worse'.

I am apparently becoming more 'daresome' in my old age. Not necessarily thinking I would easily fit into the category of 'brazen', but just less fearful about some things that would've  caused massive anxiety in the past… no - not true. My daughters will readily tell about the time we were traveling to FL, and I took an unfamiliar road. Maybe not precisely a 'short-cut', but something that required me opening up the road map to full size, which apparently caused them, securely strapped down in the back seat, considerable alarm. Apparently they were still young enough to firmly believe that a parent knew everything - or at least everything necessary to keep them safe. So when I appeared doubtful enough of our route to want to stop and peruse the fully opened map- they got really concerned. Which is when I said: Just because you don't know where you are, does not mean you are lost. Which is, I guess, a corollary of: this is gonna come out someplace familiar enough to get us where we want to be.

Anyway: I was driving up to Decatur in the dark, having slept poorly, and gotten up to leave home about 5:00 a.m. I was having such a great time listening to my new Christmas music CD, I sort of missed my turn - or took the turn I mistakenly did not mean to take. And found myself on I-285, instead of sticking to I-85 to come on into merge with I-75. So I thought I'd just get onto I-75, and it would all work out. But it didn't.

I apparently got 'way off course, as I am pretty sure I accidentally, very nearly completely circled the whole dang Atlanta-Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.  Just following my headlights, reading the signs that would get me back on the right road. Before finally getting back on I-285 headed south, to get off (and make a pit stop at the corner McD.) and turn around to start over again. I find it interesting to drive up I-285, where it passes under the runway, and go through those looonnnng overpasses on the interstate, thinking that there are huge airliners rolling overhead while I am trucking along under the concrete.

If that had happened years ago, when I first found myself in the position of driving into Decatur in order to spend time with one of my favorite people: it would have been disastrous. I'd have been calling the rescue squad. Hoping someone would come and find me and get me to where I wanted to be. Anxious, fearful, hopelessly confused. But now… what the hell? Just because you don't know where you are,does not mean you are lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment