Tuesday, December 24, 2013

lunch casserole for the Christmas dinner...

Woke up about 6 am, to get my casserole put together so we could take it to TN. A well- traveled casserole is always so much more tasty. This is  a recipe I have not made in years. Almost as easy as that peanut butter cookie recipe I made and gave away last week: what could be easier than a dish with only four ingredients? Oh, yeah, that would be the peanut butter cookies that I bagged up and put in the mail. This is not quite that simple, but not really complicated. The most difficult, time consuming part is waiting for the rice to cook before you put it all together.  All you need is the cooked rice, some chopped up broccoli, a can or two to open - that's it.

I used to make it years ago, and divide up into little square casserole dishes, freeze solid, and put in baggies in the freezer. Take out when I had no idea what we were having for dinner, and thaw, to make it look like I was organized, planning ahead, a really dutiful spouse and mom. Those were the daze…

Broccoli Casserole

2 Cups cooked rice (I used brown, that I cooked in chicken broth)
2 boxes of broccoli - chopped, thawed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 jar of cheese whiz - I know - questionable nutrition.  I could only find wee little jars when I went to the store on Monday, so I bought a big jar of pasta sauce that was cheese, bigger than I really needed, so did not use it all. If you use the cheese whiz, it is a pretty solid substance, so I have found that it is best to add it to the rice when it is still hot, so it will soften, melts  and everything will stir together.

Added chopped onion, that was cooked first in the micro. and stirred it all up together. Bake for thirty min. at 350. It's all really done, except the broccoli, so it just needs to get thoroughly heated.

The three ingredient cookie recipe comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment