Friday, December 6, 2013

514....

That's mileage. When I left town on Wednesday afternoon, to drive to Decatur. Where I spent the night, so I could get up early on Thursday, on the road and out of town before everyone else. Driving to South Carolina. To visit  my pen pal. I had not been up to Greenville since back in October (you 'member? to the state botanical gardens on the Clemson campus, after everything had bloomed out and there was nearly nothing colorful to see/enjoy as we had a little stroll along the path.)

It was a wet, dismal day. Not really raining, but not not either - just wet enough that  you'd have to continually remind yourself about the dangers associated with using the cruise control when traveling at 72 mph on wet pavement. We had a pleasant visit, and I started back towards Atlanta about 3:30, hoping to get back home before the part where '...you're getting verrrrry sleepy'....

As soon as I crossed the state line- right there on the bridge in the middle of Lake Hartwell, the traffic came to a complete halt. I asked the truck driver in the next lane if he knew why we were stopped, and he 'guessed' it might be due to an accident. The sheriff's department was making all the traffic- cars, trucks, work vehicles, big semi-trailers get off the interstate, cross over the bridge and trek out on a little two lane highway. We went places I've never been before. For most of an hour, before getting back to the interstate. At one intersection, I did ask a deputy what was going on, and he said there was a wreck on the four-lane.

So I was around ten o'clock getting to the house, where I did not have any trouble at all going to sleep. The mileage I started this with: driving to Decatur on Wed., and to SC and back to Col. on Friday. I don't think I have fully recovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment