Friday, December 20, 2013

'reliablity', part II

This goes along with that musing from several days ago about how 'you'll never hear thank you' for being dependable. I was perusing The American Cowboy magazine in a waiting room (found it so interesting, it got stuck to my hand, and came home with me so I could finish the article I was reading!) this week, and read this really good quote buried way in the back.

It's from a publication written by Baxter Black, with the title of 'Lessons from a Desperado Poet'. Makes me want to go to one of those 'Cowboy Poetry' readings I've heard about - which is, to my way of thinking, a complete oxymoron: to find a rough and weathered ranger-rider who is also a thoughtful, sensitive guy is so unusual, if he can be contained, he should be in a museum.

According to Black: success "does not requite genius, it just requires the persistence of a glacier. Remember, often it's not ability that gets you ahead, it's reliability. The world is run by those who show up." Sadly he did not mention that those same people don't seem to ever be fully appreciated for showing up on time, being the ones there to unlock the door, turn on the lights, and the last to leave when it's all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment