Sunday, December 15, 2013

you'll never get thanked...

No one will ever hear a Thank You for being reliable. For doing what they are trained and paid to do. Nobody ever hears: 'great job!', when they are conscientious and dependable and doing the work they have been assigned. I had  not been working in this retail job for long, before I decided that 'when I get to be the boss' I am going to go around every day and speak to every one on the job in my workplace and tell each one how much I appreciate them showing up: on time and ready to get on with business.

Some time  ago, there was a guy who was in management in the store where I work, who constantly walked around with his nose up in the air. He is now a store manager. I'm very thankful I don't have to occupy the same space he is in. He could walk past me a dozen times and never acknowledge my existence. That is so annoying. Especially in an environment that constantly stresses the importance of speaking to every customer who comes within ten feet. When we are so all about 'meet and greet'.

About four months ago, the produce manger hired this young female to work on the days the regular fruit prep person is off. The replacement is supposed to work two days a week: coming in at 5:00 am and working until 2:00 on Thursdays and Sundays. About once every two weeks she does not show up. I assume she calls, to let someone know she will not be there to do the job. And I assume the produce guys get extremely aggravated to be scrambling on a regular basis to get the work done when she does not make an appearance. Some folk use the term 'calling out' and others describe it as 'calling in', so I guess either/both are applicable to the situation.

When I went to work today, and walked toward the back of the produce dept., saw the area where fresh green salads are on display was BLANK, I knew there was a problem. So I started making the specialty salads people are accustomed to seeing/buying from the cooler/display. It took several hours, but I got the big empty spot filled. Then I make fresh fruit parfaits: yogurt with strawberries, pineapple, banana, mixed berries.  Basically that's what I've accomplished today.

All the while thinking about how frustrating it must be to find someone who you think will solve the problem, only to find that the 'solution' often creates another problem: and you are continually scrambling around trying to get the work done without the manpower  you need. I don't know if there are family problems, health problems, childcare problems... but there is a problem (fortunately, not mine!)

F. told me about a worker she had hired, who seemed to be doing fairly well, was being trained as a line cook, who got in a snit about something one day. Said she was going to take a smoke break, and has not come back yet. That was about six weeks ago. And has since applied to get unemployment pay, which is basically requesting to get paid to Not Work.

What creates a situation where someone does not understand the concept of 'reliable'?  It is apparent that is not a trait that is inborn. I guess you have to see it in action? Be exposed to it over and over and over to begin to understand what it means, how it works, and how to reproduce it in your own life?

Oddly - it has never occurred to me to Not Be. But I am seeing that it is not something that people are born with.Which makes me thankful that I am, and doubly thankful that parents and grandparents, family  and friends, Baptist church members, the people who raised me, modeled that behavior. Which means I grew up in a place and time with folk who demonstrated what it looks like. Resulting in me being that kind of person, who would then have daughters with that same mind-set. People who deliberately become conscientious and dependable.

For this I am thankful. So Thank You to all those forebears... you'd be pleased to see I turned out o.k.. And thank you to daughters for being who you have become.

No comments:

Post a Comment