Monday, December 9, 2013

sub teaching job...

My phone in my pocket rang several weeks ago while I was out walking/burning calories. It was the sub-finder calling, looking for replacement teachers well in advance of actually needing warm bodies. I took the assignment, even though I had no idea at that moment if I had other plans for the day I'd been filling in. And as it worked out, when I got home, I did have other things on my calendar. Which I changed in order to go today to be in a Kindergarten class.

The K level teachers were in a workshop in the media center, so they were all actually in the building, just not in the classrooms. And all the classrooms at that level had para-pros to help with managing daily activities. I'd hoped for that, as I know some schools make the para/aide 'float', serve in more than one class during the course of the day. The person I was working with eventually told me she was certified, but could not find a teaching position. So Ms F. was more than qualified to manage anything that would happen in the class while Ms. D. was out, but apparently the school system requires that there be a 'paid teacher' in the class - crazy!

It was a pretty good day - as compared to several other sub.jobs I've endured in recent months: those where I'm wondering why the hands on the clock seem to be going backwards. And second guessing myself by ten o'clock with 'what in the world made you think this was a good idea'? when the phone rang at 6:03 a.m. I believe this teacher, a young, unmarried female, was obviously good with organizing, managing, creating plans for a (relatively) well-behaved bunch of easily distracted five year old, is more than capable. The 'atmosphere' of the school, general positivity of the staff and attitude of the principal has a lot to do with how smoothly things run, discipline in the classroom, and sense of capability the teachers exhibit. Though she seemed young, (and I am convinced it takes the energy and optimism of youth to take on this work!) she obviously had the training/experience to have a good system going, and excellent methods of handling a group of exuberant little people.

Toward the end of the day, the students were working on  a worksheet the teacher left. Simple math problems: count the number of marshmallows in the cup, either add or subtract the ones with 'x' to get an answer.  A few of them quickly caught on to what was required, some never did, so I was sitting and helping, problem by problem for them to get solutions. And talking over my shoulder to the para-pro who was doing the same with others at her desk. I lamented over how distressing it was to see some of those little people who could not count, did not know how to connect the dots by singing the alphabet song to draw a Christmas Tree. They simply could not grasp such an abstract idea of removing some of the marshmallows from the cup, and finding how many would remain. There just seems to be such a great disparity in abilities/knowledge/skills. And I think much of it is due to home situations. Ms. F. told me that the ones who are doing really well often have older siblings who are involved, as well as parents. You do remember 'playing school', right? I look back and am amazed to realize what an impact that could have on the 'readiness skills' of kids. And if parents are reading to them, with age-level appropriate books in the house - I truly believe that must provide such a huge boost to their abilities.



Most of the recent sub. jobs I have done - I'd just be very thankful when the day was over, more than ready to pick up my lunch box and wobble out the door to the safety of  my car. But this was such a good experience, I actually gave her my number and asked her to call in the future when she would need a replacment.

No comments:

Post a Comment