Wednesday, December 4, 2013

fluffy pumpkin pie...

I should be taking orders. It's so easy and so good, I would gladly make one just for the part where I get to lick the bowl before putting it in the sink to wash. I made five in recent weeks and gave four and a half away. I think I might have had one slice - which is more than plenty. You can even, with a bit of planning, make it so it is nearly sugar free and suitable for the diabetics amongst us to consume. But be forewarned: sugar free is not necessarily an equivalent of 'good for you', and things that are not swimming in sugar are often loaded with fat.

This is the pie that I continually tell people you can make without ever actually using the main-est ingredient: meaning you could actually serve it as pumpkin pie but not include pumpkin. I've never done it (that would be cheating, and you know I don't approve of deliberate deception) but I do believe that you could combine all the ingredients in the recipe except the pumpkin, maybe add a bit extra of the spices that make it taste like Thanksgiving, spoon it into the graham cracker crust, and no one would be the wiser (except you and me, of course!)

No bake Pumpkin Pie

1 cup Pumpkin
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (it comes already mixed together with cinnamon, allspice, cloves)
1 box instant vanilla pudding (be sure you get the instant/no cook)
1/2 cup milk
1 bowl thawed whipped topping
1 graham cracker crust

I generally buy the pumpkin that is pie filling, meaning it already has spices in it, as opposed to plain, with nothing but pumpkin in the can. If you want to make it nearly sugar free: you will need sugar free pudding and sugar free whipped topping. Nothing you can do about that graham cracker crust, but in the overall scheme of things - negligible.
Put the pumpkin in a bowl, add the spices, stir well, stir in the milk, stir in the pudding, fold in the whole bowl of whipped topping, spoon into pie shell. I put in the freezer to make it solid, firm easier to slice. And you know that if you leave something with whipped topping in the fridge too long, it will kill your loved ones - but not likely this will last that long.

Since it is mostly air, you can eat yourself miserable on Thanksgiving, and still have room for a slice of pie.  Which is why I made so many to give away - oh - and the fact that I found the graham cracker crust at the dollar store….

No comments:

Post a Comment