Wednesday, December 4, 2013

unbelieve-able - even for the person who actually saw it!

'I am not kidding' (as verified by Dave Barry, who always said that, whether it is true or not). This really happened. And I sincerely, honestly tried to take a photo with my phone. Which was, of course, a bad mistake, since my Tech Support Team seems to be unable to transfer photos from the phone to the computer… sad: I actually took a picture of the: wild pheasant in my yard!

It was sincerely amazing. I still can't believe I actually saw that at my house - and also completely baffled as to how/why it turned up there. Not at all native to middle Georgia. I have to wonder if there might be someone out in the panhandle area of Muscogee County who is buying as chicks or adults to put out on hunting preserves for profit. I cannot imagine how and/or why something so unlikely would show up in the area. I have to guess they are being stocked/imported to provide targets for a hunting club. It was amazing. These game birds are not native to any place east of the Mississippi. Most commonly found in the upper Midwest, and I cannot fathom why there would be one trotting around loose in my yard on eastern Muscogee County on a Sunday afternoon.

I left my car, with the motor running, and the door standing open, sitting in the driveway, just off the very busy street - when I followed the unbelief-able pheasant across the yard, through the woods, down the hill, until I could not see it any longer… and guess it might still be there, out in the woods -looking for it's family???

It looked just like a dang pheasant - which is why I immediately recognized it - though I have never actually seen a live pheasant before. With the complete outfit on: black and white tail feathers, brown camo. colored body, with occasional black markings to make them hard to find, and the bright green on the head, along with red and the white ring around the neck. Everything that makes a pheasant look just like the illustrations you see in the Audubon books.  I am sad that the photo is not available for your perusal, and also that the shot was not better, as the stoopid bird kept stopping behind trees, making a good photo extremely difficult, even though I should have known better than to try to capture with this highly annoying cell phone...

No comments:

Post a Comment