Friday, December 20, 2013

another 'thing' I backed into, completely by accident...

For a couple of years I have been the 'under-cover' dishtowel washer for our church kitchen. I'd go in and gather the dirty ones up, in the large trash bag I'd line the laundry basket with, and take them home to wash and bleach, dry, fold and return in a couple of days. Some are so unbelievably astounding, amazingly nasty I generally let them all soak overnight in the washer with bleach. The look like they have been used to scrub out the coffeepots, or possibly the tile floor. And you can use your imagination for what the ones that have been sitting dirty and wet in the basket for most of a week do to your nose. But it's one of those things where you think: 'Somebody needs to do something about that'. Then suddenly have the realization: 'I'm somebody', so you just do it and be done with it.

The sweet young mother, KM, the person who runs the cafe is one of those Women Who Do Too Much. She will occasionally thank me for the fact that there are always clean dish towels available for use by the many cafe workers, and assortment of people who use our facilities on a weekly basis. I just do it because it needs to be done. Though I have not actually attended a church service since early summer, due to working on Sunday mornings.

Somehow, I recently backed into also being the person who will go to Sam's Club to purchase needed items for the Sunday morning coffee drinkers. This required that I present myself to the customer service personnel at Sam's with a letter from the church so I could get a card and 'get the goods', have stuff billed to the church. That was an ordeal.

The first time I went to try to get the card, the Sam's worker said they could not issue one on the church account, unless the primary card holder came in to approve it. I thought: Oh, well, that's not gonna happen. She asked if I wanted it issued in my name, and I said: 'Umm...Yes'. And when she said that would be $45, I said: Oh,well. No.

And went back the next day, to a different customer service worker, and had not the first minute's problem with getting the card issued, including mug-shot photo, and putting the card to use getting the supplies I needed to purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment