Saturday, December 14, 2013

507...

...miles is what happened as a result of the most recent road trip. I have a friend in Savannah, living in a nursing home. I'd written several weeks ago, saying I'm hoping to get over to visit before Christmas. Have you looked at the calendar recently? It's getting away from us... December is like a speeding freight train on a downhill run.

So I called on Thursday to ask about coming on Friday, and also contacted a friend from BCHS days, to ask about using the couch overnight. If you know me, you are not surprised that I stuffed my sleeping bag and toothbrush in the little Toyo. and hit the road. After a dental appt. Friday morning, I got underway about 9:30 and drove straight across the state. I've done it enough to know it takes about four hours, and was tooling down Abercorn Street at 1:30. I'd been accumulating boxes of cookies I thought she would enjoy, and had a box of assorted tea bags, with the plan that we would have a little tea party in her room. We ate some good cookies: lemon straws coated with confection sugar - messy but really tasty. Spent several hours with me reading the newspaper aloud, and talking about people we had in common: most of whom she was very surprised when I reported as deceased.

I tried to leave town before everyone else, but failed, and was in the dark trying to find the street address in Statesboro. Enjoyed more reminiscing about things from years gone by, a very filling Mesican meal, and tour of the Christmas lights in the neighborhood. Slept remarkably well in a strange place, and got up to drive back to across GA at 6 this morning. Even though there is nothing to indicate I got anything accomplished - I feel like I had a very productive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment