Saturday, December 21, 2013

sum total of home holiday decor...

The seasonal decorating that occurs here gets slimmer and slimmer by the year. I gave most of the tree trimming stuff away, and then put the tree in the Goodwill box some years ago. Pretty much all that is left is a wreath with some twinkle lights that  I hang out by the front door, plug into the bottom of the door-side light fixture and try to remember to turn on when it gets dark. A twinkly little beacon shining out into the world.

When I was at the botanical gardens doing a volunteer projects everal weeks ago, I picked up a few odd, leftover branches of balsam, tied together with a bit of wire, added a red bow and hung on a rusty nail on my mailbox post. Happy little greeting to hundreds of passers-by who whizz along the street.

That's it for us: until I had a door decoration come back home to roost that would not stay given away. So I recently went to Walmart (like I seem to do nearly every day, only getting one little odd-ball item, so having to go back again the following day for the next oddball thing I remember, as I cannot ever seem to locate the list) and got a couple of suction cups with hooks, and have the banner hanging on the inside of the laundry room door. Right there next to the permanently installed Santa face my grandmother made out of a metal hoop, read and white yard and several wooden beads.

Sum total of holiday decorating. I'm really not a 'scrooge', but the enthusiasm for decorating has long since evaporated. Before the last daughter left, we put up a tree in the kitchen a time or two, so the lights would twinkle and shine through the window and could be seen from the street. But with just us two: unless 'someone' wants to come over, put all the frou-frout out, trim the tree, then come back for the Un-do, seasonal jolliness is about over with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment