Tuesday, May 10, 2016

my treasured reputation...

... as a diligent correspondent. Trying to maintain the standards to which my recipients have become accustomed. Forever taking on more people who desire to receive letters notes and cards, but do not seem to put any emphasis into reciprocating. Which is, ok, I guess as getting a response is not the reason I put pen to paper.

I just noticed a letter sent to the general populace, on the bulletin board in the break room at work, posted near the time clock, where every associate could hardly ignore. I read it a couple of times, discovering a guy who was on the stock crew was in boot camp at Parris Island, with the intent of becoming a Marine. Pretty ambitious, in my opinion. He wants to go into the Marine Band - really ambitious in my opinion. But I am rooting for him, and hope he will survive and even thrive in the strict discipline of the USMC. And become a successful member of their musical ensemble.

I copied his address down, and plan to write him while he is in seclusion of boot camp. Separated from all the electronic devices the young use to communicate and keep in touch with friends and family. Probably suffering from cell phone and FB withdrawal. But I will write him notes and cards with words of encouragement, and hope he will respond enough to let me know where he gets sent after the completion of the Trial by Fire that is reputedly standard for entry into The Proud, The Few, The Brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment