Tuesday, May 24, 2016

a little volunteer project...

... I seem to have backed into involving Girl Scouts. I know these events can get off to a slow start, and gain momentum. Which will hopefully happen in the next day or so, as there were more adults at the event this evening than there were little scouts. Plus a bit of misinformation about the schedule caused me to be an hour early, devoting considerable time to standing around waiting....

I'd offered to assist, and expected some type summer fun was in the offing. But had requested plenty of lead time to get the event on my calendar and allow some wiggle room around work schedule. Sadly I got the notice on Friday that it would be starting on Monday afternoon. A 'Twilight Camp' from six to eight in the evening. As much of this seems sort of spontaneous to me, we might all encounter surprises as things evolve, with about six girls registered and four that showed up on Monday.

We started with the pledge and promise, made name tags (always a good project to kill thirty minutes), then went outdoors for an archery lesson. I was lured in to the event as the facilitator of all things crafty, so my field of 'expertise' would have been the wrapping of colored yard around craft sticks to make a 'god's eye'. With only marginal success: meaning two of the four turned out well, the other two looking like a tangle of yard suitable for bird nesting material.

It was all good fun, and enjoyed by the attendees - girls of elementary school age. I understand a couple of others are registered to start today, so hopefully the number of kids will increase as the week progresses. I was not responsible for any of the planning, so every day will certainly offer new opportunities for forging ahead into uncharted territory....

No comments:

Post a Comment