Saturday, October 31, 2015

the longer I write...

...or maybe the older I get, the more willing I am to confess. Or possibly the older I get, the less I care about saving face or admitting to foolish. Or possibly I just don't care what they will think, and ready to own up to anything that might make someone else smile, or even laugh-out-loud. Or get more accustomed to the idea of having a constantly renewed portion of Grace, no matter the circumstance...

I had a day on my calendar with nothing to do, on Friday. So on Thursday evening I started trying to find a substitute teaching position, to fill my time. More a time filler than a way to make a bit of cash. As it takes, literally, weeks before the funds turn up in my bank account. Having, in all likelihood, forgotten it was coming: which is a nice little hundred dollar surprise.

Anyway, I found the job, as reported earlier, as a substitute for an art teacher in an elementary school. And left home on Friday morning in plenty of time to get where I needed to be for the opening bell. But when I got there, realized I was at the wrong school. I knew where I was supposed to be, and did get to the right one - but late. I apologized all over myself, and felt like a complete dunce, surprised they did not make me put on the little conical hat and sit in the corner.

Fortunately the actual teacher was there, and came in to provide a 'head's up', give me some info. to know what I would be doing with students for the day. It was a pretty good day, as you read in another blog. I have not personally made art, or done art with kids in a classroom setting in years, but discovered it is like the old saying about 'riding a bicycle': it comes back to you pretty quickly.

I asked the art teacher before she left about replacements/substitutes for positions that have not been filled in recent years. I knew there was a time the school district did not replace PE, Art, Music instructors who were absent. But apparently the rules have changed. So I will be a bit more diligent and look for 'day labor' jobs. Holes I can fill when there are vacancies for Art teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment