Friday, October 2, 2015

drivin' in the nearly rain...

...this morning when I left home in the dark and drizzle. Just enough stuff dripping from the clouds to have to keep the windshield wipers on the entire time. Headed to metro. to spend the day. As usual trying to get into town and off the highly-trafficked interstate highway before the millions who commute. So I left home at just after five o'clock and arrived in Decatur about 7:00 a.m.

Getting periodic email notices about events that occur at the gardens and greenhouses at Perimeter College, that sorely tempt me to buy things to plant. It has not yet been convenient for me to attend on the days the greenhouses are open for sales, but sucker that I am for native plants/perennials: I am hoping to go today. I wrote some months ago, back in the early summer, about going to the gardens where a former instructor/retired professor at the college has planted a gazillion ferns from his world travels. Sadly, I am must confess: also a fool for ferns.

I understand from the email that the Perimeter College botany students propagate the plants that are for sale. I am lead to believe they are mostly plants that are native to our region, either state or southeastern US and will be hardy when planted in our area. I don't really feel the urge to plant anything else in my yard, but am pretty sure if I go, I can find something that is tragically lacking and desperately needed to complete my local landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment