Friday, October 16, 2015

for a part time worker...

... it has been dangerously close to forty hours for the past couple of weeks. I don't recall exactly how it happened last week, but so nearly to the maximum they were probably worried about the possibility of overtime. Which is totally verboten, completely unacceptable for everyone who is paid by the hour. Especially someone (meaning me) who has been part time for most of eighteen years, and expressed a desire to work about twenty hours each work.

But this week it sort of snuck up on me. Partially due to being willing to go in early last Saturday for several hours to help out when the floral dept. was swamped with big wedding order. Lots of cut arrangements plus all the stuff that complete the perfect day for the bridal party. So I offered to go in and get the new stuff from the warehouse put out on the sales floor: plants, cut flowers, herbs - whatever came on the truck and needed to be processed. Giving the floral guy the freedom to devote all his time to getting everything in order for pick up at noon last Saturday.

And then there was the day that the person who was supposed to be there to cook: didn't. And I went in to do her job for several hours. So all that adds up... to the point that I had to leave today by one o'clock or else. Probably ending up with another week of working thirty nine hours plus close to fifty-odd minutes.

I don't know why they get so freaked out about the possibility of paying overtime. But apparently it has become company policy that no one who is an hourly worker is allowed. Even though I tend to think of myself as a part-timer, and try to have the attitude that anytime I am not at work I am on vacation: lately, it has been very close to full time.

No comments:

Post a Comment