Friday, October 2, 2015

cookin' at work again...(dijon crusted pork loin)

...on Thursday afternoon, which is one of the two 'half days' at the Aprons booth. There are, in this particular store, a couple of days each week, that the cooking demo. only runs in the afternoon, during what is commonly known as 'drive time', when there is the most customer/foot traffic passing through.  Tuesday and Thursday are the two short days. The hours of operation for the food demonstration are different from store to store, depending on demographics.  I assume based upon obscure, technical, confusing set of carefully chosen and highly classified numbers having to do with geography/location, traffic patterns, P & L, etc.

The recipe I prepared three times on Thursday was probably really good, but since it started off with parts of a hog, I did not taste it. And told a number of people who stopped long enough to have a brief conversation I would make it with chicken tenders/strips if doing it at home. There are enough flavorful ingredients involved that the end product would be tasty with any type of protein you choose to use.

You dip the (meat of your choice) in spicy mustard then coat with crunchy crumbs to insure it will come out of the oven nice and crispy. And make this wonderful topping/sauce to add as you serve. The sauce being so yummy you might want to save to drink out of a cup, though the recipe recommends you could serve over gnocchi as a quick side dish.

The pork loin available at my workplace is vacuum packed, and averages just over two pounds. My suggestion to customers who sounded like they would make it at home: take the roast selection back to the meat dept. to have them cut it in half. Put the other half in the freezer for another meal, or in the crock pot to cook overnight.

I don't usually remember to bring the recipe home to be able to give specifics. But thought it sounds both good and easy, so likely be something I would make though changing the meat to one I would actually eat.  I would not put the effort into making a dish I would not consume.

The following recipe is from Aprons. I hope I will not go to jail for repeating it here... perhaps I should alter to avoid a long sentence due to copyright infringement? Ingredients and measurements are according to recipe, though I have changed the instructions slightly in self defense.

Dijon-onion crusted pork                                               prep. time: about 25  minutes

1 Tbs. canola oil (I just sprayed the metal baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray)
3/4 cup French fried onion rings, coarsely crushed
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, combined with onions in zip top bag
1 pound pork tenderloin, sliced about 1 inch thick (or alternate meat of your choice)
2 Tbs. spicy mustard + 1/2 tsp. kosher salt + 1/4 tsp. pepper, mix in bowl
Topping/sauce: 1 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese. shredded
                          1 cup roasted garlic Alfredo sauce
                          1 can (6 ox.) mushroom steak sauce (combine these three in micro-safe bowl to heat)
Preheat oven to 400. Coat baking sheet with oil. Coat meat with mustard mixture, then place in zipper bag with crumbs to coat. patting to insure good coverage.  Place meat on cooking sheet, bake for 10 min., then turn and bake 6 or 7 min. more. Check with meat thermometer for doneness: 145 degrees.
Heat topping/sauce ingredients and serve over meat. Serves four.

The side dish on the same recipe card sounds so yummy I would like to eat the whole thing, though the recipe indicates it serves four. Which means I would have to go lay down and rest after consuming the bowl of caprese salad. It's the basil pesto that calls my name.

8 oz.  fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (home grown would be wonderful!)
1/4 cup plain, unflavored low-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup basil pesto sauce

Dice cheese and tomatoes. Combine pesto and yogurt in medium bowl, add cheese and tomato. Stir just until well coated. Even better if it sits a bit to improve melding of flavors.

Several customers/tasters reported the salad was 'bland', and suggested salt. I do not routinely pick up a salt shaker, as the person who eats my cooking at home always salts before tasting. I rarely add salt to anything I prepare, knowing he will cover his food with salt prior to picking up a fork, But a little sprinkle of coarse salt might help to give it more flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment