Wednesday, October 21, 2015

cookin' at work...(beef pie with ranch dressing seasoning)

... a new, easy recipe today, that is sort of an old favorite, with a bit of 'tweaking' (no, not Twerking, miley!). Similar to one I have made  numerous times over the years, doing some adding/subtracting based on what I had on hand. So, of course, you need to use some common sense and adapt it to what you know your peeps will eat.

I told passers-by all day long that if I were making it at my house, it would be with chicken instead of beef. Cooking a chicken breast to dice or shred, or leftover rotisserie chicken from the deli, or even some ground turkey. I'd just be much more likely to eat it with poultry instead of cow. And really good leftovers the day after.

Here's the recipe just like it is printed on the laminated card:
Cheesy beef and ranch pie
1 -9 inch- frozen deep dish pie shell
3/4 pound ground sirloin beef
1 cup diced yellow onion
3 large eggs (or 3/4 cup egg substitute)
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup reduced fat olive oil mayonnaise
3 Tbs. all purpose flour
3 Tbs. powdered ranch dressing mix (like the  dry packet of hidden valley)
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Brown beef and onion. Mix eggs, milk, mayo. Stir flour and dry dressing mix together, add to liquid. Stir in cheese, then meat. Pour into pie shell. Place on pan before putting in oven. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Let sit for 5 min before slicing into wedges to serve.

I used to make something similar when I had a family to feed. My easiest recipe came from the back of a Bisquick box. You can probably still find it, if you google up Cheeseburger Pie. Sadly, I am still prone to try to sneak in some nutrition in the form of vegetables. So I would dice onions, bell pepper, celery, maybe grate a bit of zucchini to saute and add to the mix with meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment