Thursday, October 8, 2015

a year later....

...if you have been with me a loonnnggg time, reading the meanderings and muse-ings over the years, you know the back story about my employment. I did  not mean to get into the cooking arena, but backed into the food demo. work last October when I wanted to work more than eight hours a week. The reduced schedule was a result of  'slow sales, what happened when the decision was made that as a part time employee, I am the most expendable.

Historically, I tend towards mild paranoia: in a good way. Continually trying to gauge intentions, guessing at motivations, in an effort to figure out how people think, what is going on inside their heads that causes (occasionally bizarre) behavior. So I look back and wonder if there might have been an ulterior motive in the changes made in my work schedule? Who know? Certainly not me.

But as it evolved, the cooking job became my primary occupation for most of the past year. Until recent months, over the summer, when there was  more work to be done in the produce department. Where I had been happily plodding away before labor hour 'shortage' last fall. Managers claimed that the sales and demand for fresh merchandise had diminished to the point that there was no need for my time, and 'production numbers' were too low to schedule me in that area.

I knew to expect my 'job class' would change as the scheduling provided more hours in a specific position ,after I began working the cooking demo., meaning over 50% of my time. The actual change did not occur until February, and resulted in a pay cut. Discussed at great length with anyone who would listen, as well as some who did not want to know, and quite a few who do not care a whit as it does not affect their income.

But, here it is: October again.  Now it appears I might be 'officially' going back into the former job. Inadvertently and likely accidently, due to the simple math of working more hours in the floral and produce prep area over the summer months.  I recently had  conversation with the store manager about hours vs hours. We will see how this pans out....

No comments:

Post a Comment