Friday, October 30, 2015

let's just hope...

...I am up to the task. After accepting a job for substitute teaching late yesterday, I have been having second thoughts. Probably why I did not sleep very well overnight. A combination of anxiety about what I am getting into, and worry that I would oversleep and not get there by 7:45. Though I think I will be early, since I am ready to leave the house right now, lunch box packed and stress level  gradually reaching maximum.

You may recall  I went to mid-summer meeting for all those wishing to continue to be 'day labor' employees of the local school district: they changed the rules. Anyone who chooses to remain on the computer generated calling list is required to work a minimum of twenty days per school year. Supposing I worked an average of two days per month, from August through May, I thought I would have it pretty well in hand. But find myself already seriously lagging. I have only done two days, and here we are on the leading edge of November.

With a day that had nothing else penciled in on my calendar, I decided to look and see what the school system might have to offer. Oddly enough - I prefer the jobs that do not pay as well. Which would be working as a substitute for a para-professional (formerly known as 'aide') in a classroom with a certified teacher. Generally limiting me to pre-K, Kindergarten and first grade age kids. The ones who are still enthusiastic about learning, happy to be in the classroom, and absorbent as sponges when it comes to picking up new skills.

I have the certification for employment as  the teacher, but would rather be in an environment with someone else, who knows the kids, knows the schedule, and can keep them under control. Going in a classroom at the level of five or six year olds with another person is the ideal situation for me. It would be nice to be subbing for the teacher, and make the best pay rate for the day labor job.  But the idea of being in a relatively controlled/managed situation can easily outweigh the measly difference in income for the seven hours you devote to the work.

I will be doing Art today. Something I have not done, or thought of doing in years. Though that is what I am actually trained and educated for. So we will see if I have to disposition, patience, and forbearance, skills, discipline to survive the day. I expect the age group will be a bit older. Though it is an elementary school, I predict the classes will be students at the top end of the age bracket. I sincerely hope no one gets hurt.

So, should I live to tell about it: three down, and seventeen more to go. Why I think this is necessary I cannot say, but hope that I will eventually accumulate that minimum of days needed to stay in the good graces of the county school system.

No comments:

Post a Comment