Wednesday, October 7, 2015

cookin' at work...(fresh pear and aruglua salad)

...today, I made something that was really good, and I would probably duplicate at home, though I am likely the only one who would eat it. And if I ate the whole recipe, I would be pretty miserable... so on second thought, maybe I won't make it after all. But it was really good, so I will share the goodness here...

Pear and arugula salad

2 ripe Bartlett pears, sliced thin
2 Tbs. blue cheese crumbles
1/2 cup diced walnuts
1 bag fresh arugula leaves (about 5 oz.)
1/4 cup apple vinaigrette (or poppy seed) dressing (I was using a Panera product: apple dressing)

Slice pear thin. Toss with dressing to prevent discoloring. Add cheese and nuts. Toss well. Add greens. Toss to coat.

I am really not a big fan of arugula, as I would rather have something that has more body/crunch to it, and think it would be just as good with romaine. But for those of you who just love to say 'arugula, arugula, arugula', you can use that if you prefer. I quartered the pears, cut the core out, and sliced thin so every bite of salad had a bit of pear in it. The pears were really not quite ripe, pretty hard rather than softening like they should be for 'ripe', so if you used some that were not as firm as your average apple, the salad would have more flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment