Thursday, October 22, 2015

a thought- y little proverb...

...or possibly something I just made up, but it sounds so profoundly profound, you might as well consider it something that originated in ancient history. Could have come spilling out of the mouth of a wise sage from the past like Confucius or The Buddha. Or just me, thinking about the absurdities of life... which can be pretty telling if you sit and ponder.

"One who can laugh at oneself will never fail to find a source of amusement". Or something along those lines, as in: "If you have enough humor about you that you can be entertained by your own mishaps, you will not sink into the mire of self-pity.' And since we all know gravity as well as Murphy's Law is still in effect, you might as well laugh and make the best of the mundane daily aggravations that would other wise cause you to hurt someone.

My story goes back nearly a week. When I made the peanut butter cookies that were originally intended for travel, to take to my pen pal in South Carolina. By the time I ate a few, and gave the rest away, there were none. So I put my bowl, ingredients and baking pan in the car with the intentions of baking another batch when I got to Decatur for delivering to my friend in SC. But it just didn't happen. I might have possibly gotten distracted by a glass or two of below average wine, and somehow never got around to doing the stirring and baking.

So the bowl, ingredients and now spilled bottle of vanilla made the round trip to SC and back without ever actually turning into cookies.  That little teaspoon of vanilla flavoring leaking out of the bottle certainly did make me smell good for several days.  I just made the second batch and will put them in the mail this afternoon.

 A side effect of the cookie making is that I will not be wanting any lunch, due to excessive consumption of un-cooked dough. But it is not dangerous or bad for you, other than not being 'good for you', in that there is nothing in the raw ingredients that is actually 'raw': just baking mix, peanut butter and condensed milk. Surely that won't hurt?

Years ago, I would not have shared this - being to aware of the likelihood that some individual would find this foolish behavior so entertaining as to get a great guffaw or chuckle. Chortling at my expense: thinking of my foolishness, as I drove the ingredients all the way to Greenville and back without ever actually stirring together. But I find myself feeling more and  more like it is better to laugh than cry... too much grief and heartache in the world already.

No comments:

Post a Comment