Saturday, October 31, 2015

so I am wondering...

...if new tires would have any effect on my gas mileage? If you have an answer or any ideas, let me know? Thinking that with good tread depth and a fairly conservative speed, there is less friction between tires and pavement, which would make the ride smoother, and consume less fuel? I really have no idea, and not a physics person. Truthfully: as one who readily admits to a long history of being math-impaired, it is really just a passing thought that accompanies the previous blog about most excellent miles-per-gallon.

Brought about because I knew the automotive guy would 'suggest' I consider a tire purchase when I took my car in for an oil change. With the 'newer' Toyo., I discovered I am a consumer of synthetic oil with the 2013 model. Which for all practical purposes, without a discount/coupon, doubles the cost of the oil change at a retail outlet. Sad that it costs so much - even though the older model I drove for years was semi-synthetic and costed twice what a regular oil change had been with that little red Saturn.

I knew the spiel about the new tires was coming, and had priced around. Called a couple of places to find out what they would charge to get them mounted and out the door. Expecting to pay about $100 per tire, I was not surprised to get estimates that were 400 plus. So I was prepared when the guy told me he could get me up and running for $435 (plus, of course, that exhorbitant, highway-robbery oil change.) So, though I am sure he was thinking he was so charming (overweight, excessively hairy, bad complexion) his great salesmanship spontaneously sold me tires, I was prepared. And knew they were going to give me the pitch.

Sadly: the total cost that ended up on my credit card was $554 and change. The good news is that it is on my credit card and racking up rewards points I can use to buy gift cards for Christmas presents. So, Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment