Wednesday, July 29, 2015

tryin' to get it all done...

...even though it is not possible to do the laundry and water the plants in advance. Doing my best to get everything organized in preparation to leave town for several days. Remembering how years ago, I thought I had to clean house before I left... and now it's all I can do to be relatively sure I am not packing dirty clothes. Thinking of how people thought if you were going to be away from home for an extended period you need to have everything perfectly in order: floors mopped, bathrooms spotless, laundry baskets completely empty before you walk out the door.

Not a dirty dish left anywhere. In the event you returned to an emergency, or worse: did not return at all. You did not want other people to walk into your house and see dirt or dust or less than sparkling bathroom sinks. Perish the thought that something untoward might occur. That you or a family member not actually return, but if this unimaginable situation occurred, your mother and grandmother insisted that the house be immaculate, ready to receive guests.

Well, sadly, those days are over. I am leaving dust, dirty showers and some questionable miscellanea in the fridge. Hoping that the guy who will be left here (unsupervised) might be motivated to heat and eat the leftovers. Though it is  more likely he will get in the car and drive five miles to BK than take something from the fridge and put in in the micro., for consumption. And I will find it right where I left it, to go in the trash when I return. And a big pile of laundry generated while I am away.

No comments:

Post a Comment