Sunday, July 5, 2015

expecting company...

...I have invited my Auntie from south GA to come up for a visit. With the idea that we will go up to Decatur on Monday and visit family members who are in the states from India. I am always anxious to think of the Auntie driving, roaming around the by-ways without any sense of where she is going or how to get there. She claims to have a great sense of direction, but can consistently get herself completely lost and have no idea of how to get where is wants to be.

The last time Auntie was planning to come up to middle GA, it took her six hours to make the three hour drive. I did not ask, and don't think she could have clearly reported, where she had been all that time, making a massive number of U-turns, and stopping every few miles asking for directional info. But she did eventually get herself to the right place.

She was not sure about how to get back on the right road when she was ready to head back to south GA., so I tried to draw her a map. And after conversation, realized that the map was not really helpful. So said: 'I will drive and you can follow me, to the point that you know where you are and I will just pull over and wave, let you go on your merry way.' She did follow, up to a point, but then chose to not take the proper exit to get onto 520 to head south. I took the exit, and pulled over, hoping that she, the maker of numerous U-turns, would get to the end of I-185, where it comes to a dead end on Ft. Benning, and know to turn around. It all worked out, she saw the sign that directed her south, and obliviously passed me, standing along the edge of the road, frantically waving.

Called me several hours later, to say she had gotten home.

And now she is coming back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment