Monday, July 6, 2015

drivin' to Decatur...

... and back today, to spend the day with funny little boys. My cousin has family from India visiting for a few weeks: her son, his wife and two little amusing kids. They have lived in Moscow, Bejing China and now Delhi, India over the past eight years. And come to the states to visit family for a month or so each summer.

The auntie and I left about eight to drive up and visit for the day. Little guys actually spent a couple of hours re-charging after lunch, taking naps, so we had a nice visit with adults as well. Their parents decided the little ones needed to burn off some excess energy, so we walked a couple of blocks to a neighborhood elementary school to jump and run around on a really nice playground. Lots of climbing things, slides, suspended walk-ways to entertain little people: but oddly enough, not a single swing, which I would consider a playground staple. Plenty of picnic tables and benches for those amongst us who were less inclined to dash to-and-fro and fling ourselves around.

I had intended to leave the city mid-afternoon to get out of town before traffic got bad, but it was nearly five before we got on the road. I am glad I have been in the area enough to learn some routes that would keep me off the interstate as much as possible, so I wove through some surface streets, working my way south to avoid congestion. There was a place on I-85 northbound, as we were headed south, where there was a snarl, with traffic coming to a complete standstill for ten miles or more. I offered a little silent prayer of thanks that I was not in that mess, swearing, steaming and needing to pee while no one was moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment