Wednesday, July 15, 2015

today i cooked...

...about nine pounds of salmon. It was the really expensive kind but since it is on sale for nearly half-price in the newspaper adv. this week, I think I did my part to sell quite a bit. I did not eat it, could not make myself insert even a taste in my mouth. It has such a strong fishy smell, when I would unwrap another package to lay it out in the pan, it was all I could do to control myself.

All the passers-by who tasted reported it was very good. I kind of suspect that the topping was so interesting, it really didn't taste like salmon, so it might have been tolerable. A remarkably simple recipe - you don't even need a recipe to do it. Just lay the skinned salmon on the pay (or on foil if you want to keep dish washing to a minimum), sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix up basil pesto sauce, Dijon mustard and the juice from half of a lemon. Spread it on the fish, and bake at 375 for about fifteen  minutes. Total time: less than twenty minutes from opening the package till you are sitting down to eat.

You should take your salmon back to the meat guys and ask them to skin if for you. They will, if you ask, and then you don't have to do it yourself. Saves time, prevents a whopping big mess in your kitchen, and makes it so easy to just flop the fillets in the pan, season, bake, eat.

The other thing on the recipe card was a quinoa salad with kale. I could have eaten the whole bowl by myself. That good. Leave off the cheese, and pass me a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment