Saturday, July 11, 2015

google'd snake...

.. to try to get an id..makes me think that the one I saw out in the yard is a rat snake. Or it could be a Queen snake, though I have never even heard of that one before. Both of which are classified as 'helpful' or 'friendly'.  I don't believe it was deadly, in the sense that if I had been bit, I would be dead instead of typing. I do not think it was one that is venomous. And likely about 95% harmless, as they serve a definite purpose in the food chain. But there is that other 5%, which would mean there is a chance it could be out there waiting, lurking, looking for me to consume.

According to googling there are only six in the state that are venomous. And I know this one did not have the little noisemakers on the back end. So I am pretty sure the one that was scootching around in the leaf mulch was part of the 95%. That his job is specifically to keep the smaller undesirables under control. I am led to believe if that one I backed away from had been dispensed with, the one that would likely jump into that gap in the food chain might not be so 'friendly', in a manner of speaking. My grandpa, a believer in various old wives' tales and superstitions passed down from one generation to the next: would likely decapitate with a hoe and hang on the fence, hoping it would bring rain on his corn field.

No comments:

Post a Comment