Saturday, July 4, 2015

4th of July after dark...

...is when the fireworks happen. But it's raining and I am wondering if it all came to pass. I called a friend who used to go with me downtown to see the fireworks on all the Appropriate Fireworks Occasions. We went several times, for New Years' Eve, or Independence Day or some other worthy holiday. But she had plans, so I was debating taking myself, thinking I could just drive downtown and park in the lot of the Civic Center, a couple of miles away from the actual event. Assuming the show would be set up on a bridge crossing the river, where there is plenty of good viewing from either side. Knowing that when the show got fired up, all the rockets would be pointed straight up and be visible for several miles if you were in the right place for viewing.

I nearly did, but then it started raining, with thunder rolling in (that I first though was just more celebratory noise), that might have caused a postponement, and the Playing With Fire event to fizzle out before it got started. Making me think about getting in the car and driving down to Golden Park to arrive at the beginning of the ninth inning. To get there just in time for the glorious explosions. Not caring a thing about the baseball game, but always ready to make a run for fireworks. Arriving just before they turned out all the lights in the stadium and started blowing things up.

The air would eventually be filled with wafting clouds of grey smoke, smelling of gunpowder, after all the sparkling and explosions were done. And as a result of being the last people to come into the parking lot, we would be the first out... just showing up for the brilliantly festive celebratory star-spangled end of the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment