Friday, July 3, 2015

single tomato harvest....

..is the sum total of what I have gotten thus far When I plant tomatoes, or anything really, and do not follow through with nurturing, like I used to do, I know I do not deserve to be rewarded. Like those tomato plants that have started roaming as the grow and vine all over the garden plot, unsupervised and untamed. I picked one a couple of days ago, that was about 60% red, and brought it in the house, to keep bugs and birds from destroying. And have watched it slowly get ripe. The problem is that I can't even say which of the three varieties I planted this one came from. So I don't know which gets credit for success.

I planted them in some really good, improved dirt, and put the names on each one so I would know what's what when they started producing. But did not cage when they were small and easy to manage. And did not hammer in stakes to provide support as they grew. So now, I guess we should call them 'free range' tomatoes? They are all healthy, and growing, and sending out vines, tumbling into each other and flopping on other varieties, so I don't know which this one successful tomato belongs to.

I decided to plant several different kinds as a sort of test, to see which would be the most productive and which would provide the best flavor... and now: surprise, surprise... I have no idea what I have picked.  So, between the value of the fertilizer, dirt, the plants and the sweat equity, I think I might have twenty bucks invested in this one tomato....it better be good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment