Wednesday, July 22, 2015

pierogies...

...are in the latest recipe from Aprons. I think it was pretty good, but I did not eat it, because it also involves sausage. Which I do not want to put in my mouth. Even though it is made from chicken instead of pork. It's just the flavor, and the idea of 'sausage' (remembering that old bad joke about how you really don't want to know the particulars of how they make sausage or laws). And that thin, membrane casing the ground up meat is forced into. The last time we made a  recipe that had some form of sausage in it, we had to take the casing off, using just the meat, loose. I won't even say what that casing looked like when I peeled it off the meat before putting in the pan to brown. Ick.

This one had onions and bell pepper, sautéed in the pan with the sausage. When this gets done, (you should be sure meat is thoroughly cooked, check that internal temp is 165), take it out of the pan. Wipe the pan, and put in a bit more oil, then add the package of frozen pierogies. Cook about five min on each side, then add the sliced sausage and vegetables back in, along with a tasty sauce consisting of spicy brown mustard and vinegar.

People would come by and peer into the skillet and say: 'what is that?' And I would say: 'sausage, peppers and onions with ravioli-type pasta filled with cheese.' How would you describe a pierogie?

The recipe was actually designed to be cooked on a grill. Which, of course, did not happen in the store. The tasters said it was really good. I did not try it, due to the fact that it was much too reminiscent of sausage. Even though it was chicken and not pork. As a result of my superb, outstanding skills,  lots of people left the store with sausage and pierogies, planning to cook the recipe for their family tonight. I wish I was making a commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment