Tuesday, April 1, 2014

it's only 8:00 o'clock...

...but I am completely ready to go to bed. Partially due to having set the alarm to wake me up at 5:00 a.m.  And you know what happens when you set the alarm for crack 'o' dawn: waking up every thirty minutes to be check for the nineteenth time the alarm is really set, or you didn't hear it go off, or you overslept, or you're late for whatever.  So it was an all 'round rough night. And then I really did get up at shortly after five to get to work by 6:00.  I'm still wondering, but have not actually asked the schedule-maker/manager the reason for wanting me there an hour before the store opens for business. There is probably a good one - like he wants the early morning workers to have time to spruce up, making everything the epitome of fresh and welcoming?

So I worked till about 2:00, then went to Wallyworld to get a bag of potting soil, and another of cat litter. I could barely lift that 35 pound bag of cat litter into the car, so I have no idea how I was able to get the bigger bag of dirt loaded into the cart, and then into the back of my car/truck. Came home and spent the rest of the afternoon working in the yard. I've been so productive, something to do with the sap rising? Warm sunny weather so conducive to puttering around outside.

I cleaned out the leaves from the valleys on the roof, as far as I could reach, standing on the next-to-top step on the six foot ladder, stretching my reach with the yard rake. Picked up several piles of yard trash/sticks. Dug up some nandinas to relocate. Dug up all those pineapple sage plants I hope someone will want? Anybody? They are already in pots. Put out the last bale of  pine straw and see that I might be able to get by with just one more, but two would be better. Planted the foxglove plants that have been in pots for two years, so now I have ten in a row across the front of the house. I'm so excited - looking forward to seeing them bloom. And will be delighted to see what color they are when it happens. Cleaned up after myself.

All while a casserole was cooking in the oven. With a man sitting in the recliner, holding the timer. Who actually called me on the phone, while he sat, and I was out in the yard, to tell me the casserole was done, and he was ready to eat. I was fully prepared to feel like The Little Red Hen, but will give him credit for setting the table, though all it required was getting two plates and six pieces of silverware from the kitchen and putting them down on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment