Friday, April 18, 2014

funny, that...

... I really do not have a problem with paying (exorbitant) price for gas, but have been dragging my feet, waffling, dis-inclined to buy new tires. Bite the bullet I did, (sounds like Yoda?)  and went to the tire store yesterday to discuss, gripe, whine and finally agree with the guy at the counter about having four installed today. You might remember the story of having to purchase a tire in January, headed towards south GA, when I had a puncture mid-way. That was really aggravating, though the ultimate outcome made me thankful: it did not happen in the middle of no-where, it was not dark or raining, and I could readily afford the price of a new tire.

But when I went to the tire store on Thursday afternoon, with the intention of buying three (3) tires, thinking I didn't need four, I discovered that was not an option. The tires I agreed to, once I got over a major case of disgruntlement, were apparently only sold as a 'set'. Yes, I know. Sounds pretty unlikely to me to. But don't tell me it is not true. It's too late to reconsider.

I told the Tire Guy I would bring my car over mid-morning and come back when I got off work. So I had TP pick me up and run me back to the store around 11. And got a call when they got done, to let me know it was ready. It has been raining cats and dogs here, all day. Soaking, soggy, puddled up water everywhere.

You will be so pleased you were not there to be embarrassed by the sight: Me, with plastic bags on my feet, and a huge, over-sized bright yellow hooded raincoat that had Publix printed on the back, trudging along through the parking lot, across the street, down the gutter on to the tire store. I'm delighted  to report that I hardly got wet. Other than my shoes, but with plastic produce bags covering my socks, I did not even notice. I detest soggy socks. It will likely take my shoes several days to try out, but at least my socks did not get soaked.

I am very sad to report that all the increased funds I have earned as a result of working nearly forty hours this week will go towards investing in 'rubber futures'. If there were actually a plantation some place in the tropics where we could go and enjoy lemonade on the veranda, while the fans sloooowly rotated overhead, that would make me feel much better about my investment. But I guess the fact that I don't have to worry about' slip sliding away' on rain-slicked streets will have to be enough compensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment