Thursday, April 3, 2014

a bit of flag waving...

The two people who are aware of the fact that the ring tone on my cell phone is a John Phillip Sousa composition think I just did it to amuse myself. They know how fond I am of those rousing marches, and likely just assumed it is a small idiosyncratic manner of self-expression. Just a quirk.  Maybe they are right. (I am so tech. inept I had to get one of them to install 'Stars and Stripes Forever' to replace that generic tone, so my choice was deliberate.)  A co-worker's plays the first few bars of a Stevie Wonder tune. I choose a tinny version of one of the most popular marches you hear when the brass band comes high-stepping down the street.

I love all things patriotic. I am a devoted fan of the US Constitution. I am frequently counting as one of my blessings being born in America, in the place and time where I live. Always thankful for the people who have bought my freedom, at a historically great price - dating back to the Revolutionary times and the Battle of Kettle Creek in east Georgia.  And all those since who have served in the military, willing to go and stand in the gap, risk life and limb to preserve those freedoms that are promised by the writings of the Founding Fathers.

So here is something that you probably never thought to consider as a blessing: I just came home from walking three miles in my neighborhood. It was just after 9:00 p.m., well after dark when I got back to the house. I know there are places in the world where the citizens have barred the windows and doors, and locked up their family before the sun sets. I know there are places in the world where you would not be safe, or even live to tell about it, if you went for a walk in broad daylight, down public streets. And I am sure there are places right here in the US that a female is not smart, or safe, to be out after dark. So it is pretty amazing that I started out, knowing that the street lights would all be on before I got home, and I was not worried for my safety. If Mr. Worrywart knew, I'm sure he would have been completely freaked out... but I had no doubt that I would return home, under the street lights, safely.  So there's your lesson in thankfulness for today. Thank you, God, for the US Constitution, and Public Safety officers who are always on duty to serve and protect.

No comments:

Post a Comment