Wednesday, April 9, 2014

inventory day...

My cheerful, friendly, outgoing, efficient, OCD new produce department manager asked me to come in today and 'help' with the store-wide quarterly inventory. Another of those 'show up at 6 am' days. The counting is done by a vendor, outside source, that sends in at least a dozen workers, with scanners who literally scan every UPC in the store.  Apples to Wine, Deli in northwest corner to Produce in southeast corner, and  everything in between.

It's tough on the stock crew, to get everything in the back room counted and bar-coded before the counters come, to have the inventory crew in and out in as little time as possible. But it happens every three  months. The numbers are used to figure the bonus that is paid to full time employees - based on store sales/profitability. I'm not full time, so I do not benefit from the inventory/bonus. But I got up and went in for an hour to be sure everything in the floral area got counted. Balloons to Vases, and everything in between.

I'm not griping at all. They pay me the same rate whether I am sweeping the floor, making salads, doing floral work, or bagging groceries. And after a couple of years of a moody, uncommunicative boss, it is a relief to work in pleasant circumstances again. With a boss who will tell you what he wants and trust you to be capable, follow through, do your job. Though I do not enjoy getting up at 5:00 am to go to work, if that's what he wants, I can do it. And, at the end of the day, be ready to crash, go to bed at 9:00 pm to be able to do it again.

I will say that it is a whole lot easier to leave the house at that hour if I am going on a road trip, and  can anticipate seeing someone I am crazy about at the other end. So that's something to look forward to in the next few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment